Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

2 Month Checkup

Our day started with the RTI meeting at school. After the meeting we came home to put the diapers in the dryer and feed Aiden and then left to see Dr. Ally. He is now 21 inches (3rd percentile), weighs 8lbs 12 oz (10th percentile) and has a head circumference of 37 cm (5th percentile). Just in case you don't remember percentiles (and I usually have to be reminded of what it means), being in the 10th percentile for weight means 90% of babies his age weigh more than him.

Dr. Ally said he still looks great. Yes, he's small for his age but he's on the curve so we don't have anything to worry about. In fact, he jumped ahead a little on the weight curve so that's good! He's been spitting up A LOT lately (probably 0.5-1 oz per feeding) and he doesn't seem to mind but Dr. Ally asked me to add a teaspoon or two of rice cereal to a few of his bottles and see if it helps. If we don't see an improvement with rice cereal, she wants us to call and discuss other ideas. I was a little hesitant to go the cereal route but I trust her. Plus, I did some research of my own just now and read that some people really see a big improvement adding rice cereal.

Now...for the shots. I gave Aiden a pep talk and reminded him that we're only giving him shots so he won't get sick later. I promised him a cool band aid or a sticker at the end of the session and we agreed to be calm about the shots. He didn't keep up his end of the deal though. There were three shots and he started a kind of whining cry a few seconds after getting stuck the first time. By the time all the shots were over, he was screaming.

He was inconsolable, refusing the pacifier and not responding to shushing BUT I had a really good idea to calm him down. I gave him his bottle for a few seconds and, once he was calm, switched him to the pacifier. (Just in case that method bothers you...don't worry because I've never done it before and I don't plan to use it on a regular basis but the screaming was earsplitting and I definitely couldn't drive home with him screaming like that). Once he had the pacifier he fell asleep and he's been sleeping nearly two hours which gave me the opportunity to get some shopping done.

His next appointment is May 2 at 11am. May 2 is a Friday so Adam will be taking him.

I guess that just about covers our day so far. Julie and Norma are visiting this weekend so I will probably have new pictures to post on Sunday.

No comments: